Summer is here and there’s no better way for you and your pup to beat the heat than going for a swim together. But before you head out to the beach or pool, be sure you and your pet are dressed for the occasion!
Yes, dog swimsuits are definitely a thing…and dogs in swimsuits make for the most adorable pictures! From cute little dog bikinis to Hawaiian swim trunks for dogs, you can find just about any dog swimsuit to match your pet’s personality. In a comfortable, sleek suit, your pup will certainly enjoy all the extra attention they’ll get. Because let’s face it, there’s nothing cuter than a dog wearing a bathing suit.
Our Top Dog Swimwear Picks
- Pooch Outfitters Cayman Dog Swimming Trunks
- Midlee Hawaiian Large Male Dog Swim Trunks
- Venice Beach Small Dog Swim Trunks
- Ruffwear Undercoat Dog Water Jacket
- Lands’ End Dog Rash Guard Shirt
- Fitwarm Rainbow Dog Bikini
- Pooch Outfitters Kauai Small Dog Bikini
- Woof Dog Bikini
- cyeollo Cooling Dress for Small
- ASENKU Dog Life Jacket
Are Dog Swimsuits Necessary?
Besides being stylish and fun, there are actually some functional benefits to dog swimsuits. Here are a few reasons bathing suits for dogs can add to your pup’s comfort and protection while swimming:
- A shield from the sun. Just like us humans, dogs can get sunburn, especially on their noses and bellies. A dog swimsuit with UPF protection can help prevent this. And don’t forget the doggy sunscreen!
- Extra insulation. Swimsuits for dogs also provide a layer of insulation for canines who swim in chilly water.
- Skin protection. If your dog has sensitive skin, a dog swimsuit can help shield them from irritants in the water, such as salt or chlorine.
- Cleaner fur. Dog bathing suits can help to keep dirt and debris out of your pet’s fur if they like to swim in lakes or the ocean.
How We Chose Our Top Picks
In order to provide a well-rounded view of the best-of-the-best in dog swimsuits, we looked at the following factors when compiling our list:
Fashion. Truthfully, it’s hard to find an outfit that won’t look cute on a dog — that’s just the nature of dressing our pets like humans! But we still took a look at the design elements that made each option stand out.
Function. Besides looking great, it’s helpful when dog swimsuits provide convenient functionality, too. That’s why we made sure to call out features like adjustable closures, stretchy fabric, sun/cold protection, etc.
Reviews. We checked out what real customers had to say about each product and read both the positive and negative reviews to get a full look of what they liked and didn’t like.
Price. We know it’s not always feasible to spend a ton on dog swimwear, so we tried to provide a variety of suits at different prices to give you plenty of options to choose from.
10 Best Dog Swimsuits and Trunks
All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Vetstreet may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
With the right attire, your furry friend can really make a splash at the next pool party or beach day. Here’s a list of our favorite dog swimsuits to help them get ready for some fun in the sun!
Pooch Outfitters Cayman Dog Swimming Trunks
Buy at FunnyFurBuy at BaxterBoo
Your pup will definitely catch lots of attention in this colorful and fun pair of male dog swim trunks. They feature a comfortable elastic waistband, a pocket, and a Velcro closure for easy on and off. Plus, they’re available in six different sizes to fit just about any dog.
- Stylish with a fun pattern and design
- Bright color is easy to spot on a crowded beach or in the water
- Easy to take on and off
- Open underside for convenient bathroom breaks
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- More expensive than many other dog swim trunks
- Longer fur may get caught in the Velcro
Midlee Hawaiian Large Male Dog Swim Trunks
Buy at AmazonBuy at Midlee
Let your pet get their aloha on with this fun pair of Hawaiian dog swimwear. These stylish dog swim trunks feature tropical hibiscus flowers and are made of lightweight fabric. The waistband is adjustable with a hook-and-loop closure to fit large dog breeds up to 150 pounds. A matching Hawaiian shirt is also available if you really want to make your pup the life of the pool party!
- Fun Hawaiian beach theme
- Easy on/off design with open underside
- Comes in sizes up to 5x to fit even the biggest canines
- Great price point
- Matching shirt available separately
- Designed for larger dog breeds
Venice Beach Small Dog Swim Trunks
Buy at PupRWear
It’ll be surf’s up for your pup in these stylish multicolored doggie board shorts. This small dog bathing suit is made of a comfortable cotton/polyester blend and features an elastic waistband and Velcro closure for easy on and off.
- Fun Venice Beach, California design
- Bright floral pattern is easy to spot on a beach or in the water
- Velcro closure for convenience
- Only comes in one color
- Designed only for teacup, toy, and small breeds
- On the expensive side in comparison to other dog swim trunks
Ruffwear Undercoat Dog Water Jacket
Buy at RuffwearBuy at Amazon
For canines who don’t mind taking a dip in colder temps, this water jacket is a perfect pick. Designed with laminated neoprene fabric and articulated StormSleeves to help keep warmth in, the jacket helps ensure your pup will stay insulated during those chilly swims. It even has drain holes at the belly so water can escape, as well as reflective trim for added visibility when the light is low.
- Fitted design is made of stretchy laminated neoprene for insulation
- Stretchy StormSleeves help retain warmth and offer added freedom of movement
- Zippered closure
- Drain holes help release water
- Reflective trim for added safety
- Available in two colors
- Priced significantly higher than standard dog swimsuits
Lands’ End Dog Rash Guard Shirt
Buy at Lands’ End
This adorable yet functional rash guard is a great way to help shield your dog from the sun. It’s designed with SPF 50 for premium protection and features a stretchy fit to keep your pup totally comfy. Plus, the two styles (tie-dye and solid with floral trim) are so adorable, you might just have to get both!
- Fabric is soft and stretchy
- Offers SPF 50 protection
- Fade, pill, and wrinkle resistant
- Available in two colors/patterns
- Some dogs may not like wearing a full-coverage shirt
- Higher price point
Fitwarm Rainbow Dog Bikini
Buy at Amazon
Dogs in bikinis are adorable. Who knew? Take your little princess out for a nice dose of vitamin D in this stylish rainbow-patterned bikini. Made of soft polyester, it features adjustable ties at the neck and back for a comfortable fit. This bikini comes in four sizes and is also available in alternate prints.
- Inexpensive option
- Great reviews, with customers commenting on the style and quality
- Available in multiple designs and sizes
- Customers mentioned that this suit runs pretty small, so be sure to check measurements before purchasing
Pooch Outfitters Kauai Small Dog Bikini
Buy at BaxterBoo
Nothing says summer like a tropical bikini. This colorful Hawaiian-themed bikini for small dogs features a beautiful floral print, ruffles on the bottoms, a touch-fastener closure, and elastic straps for a perfect fit. Get that camera ready!
- Stylish tropical design
- Made out of comfortable, durable polyester
- Touch-fastener closure and elastic straps help provide a comfortable fit
- Available for small dogs only
- Only comes in one color and design
Woof Dog Bikini
Buy at Kohl’s
Looking for a large dog bikini? This colorful and stylish two-piece striped bikini is perfect for both petite pups and bigger breeds! Easy to pull on and off, it features a tank top with ruffles and matching bottoms. The soft, durable polyester will keep your canine comfy, and four different sizes are available for a fantastic fit.
- Adorable striped pattern
- Pullover design for easy on/off
- Inexpensive option
- Available in multiple sizes
- Only comes in one color and style
- Not adjustable
cyeollo Cooling Dress for Small Dogs
Buy at Amazon
Headed to the beach or a summer BBQ? This adorable dog beachwear will surely turn some heads. Even though it’s technically not a swimsuit, the cheerful dress was simply too cute to leave off the list. Plus, it’s actually meant to get wet, thanks to its soft, stretchy fabric with a special cooling system. Just soak the dress in cold water, wring it/shake it out, and put it on your pup! The moisture draws sweat from the skin, so your furry fashionista can stay nice and chill. You can even try freezing it for 10 minutes after soaking on super-hot days!
- Cute and fun pet beach attire
- Quick-drying mesh fabric with cooling system helps prevent pups from overheating
- Great for sensitive skin
- Excellent customer reviews
- Available in two different styles
- It’s more of a beach dress than dog swimwear
- Designed only for small dogs up to 26 pounds
ASENKU Dog Life Jacket
Buy at Amazon
A dog life jacket is a great option for pups who aren’t the best swimmers or have longer fur, which can really weigh them down in water. This doggie life vest features a polyester/oxford nylon outer and buoyant foam inner that dries and drains water quickly. It easily secures to your pet with adjustable belts and has a rescue handle on the top, a D-ring for a leash, and an adorable shark fin.
- Provides added buoyancy and safety while swimming
- Available in many colors and sizes to fit most dog breeds
- Stylish shark-inspired design
- Comfortable and easy to put on/take off
- Excellent reviews
- Some customers complained that it wasn’t buoyant enough for their heavier dogs
Dog Swimsuits and Trunks Buyer’s Guide
When looking for the right swimsuit for your pet, here are a few things to take into consideration.
Safety features. Think about what you’re looking for in a dog bathing suit. Is it purely for fashion or are you looking for safety features such as reflective accents or protection from the sun?
Color. For ocean or lake swimmers, you may want a bright color that you can easily spot from a long distance.
Convenient dressing/undressing. Choose a dog swimsuit that’s easy to put on and take off. It also may be beneficial to look for suits that are adjustable or made with stretchy fabric.
Size. Be sure to take your pup’s measurements and read the production description of what sizes and/or breeds the dog swim trunks or bikini is recommended for.
Customer input. Don’t forget to check the reviews like we did to see what other pet parents liked or didn’t like. Many customers even post photos of their pets in dog bathing suits, which are helpful to see.
Return policy. Lastly, review the online retailer’s warranty and return policy in case the dog swimsuit isn’t the right size or doesn’t work out.
Tips for Dressing Dogs in Swimsuits and Trunks
If your pup is new to wearing pet attire, try starting with just a few minutes at a time in the suit while praising and rewarding them with treats. After a while, your furry friend will most likely get used to the dog swimsuit and even begin to enjoy wearing it.
It’s important to make sure your pup is comfortable in the outfit and that it’s not at all restrictive. Your pup should be able to freely swim, walk, run, and lie down in their swimsuit.
Not every dog is a fan of wearing clothing, and some will straight-up refuse it. My Rat Terrier won’t even move with just a shirt on! If your dog seems uncomfortable or stressed in a swimsuit, don’t force it. Canines won’t offend anyone by swimming in their birthday suits! And if your pup isn’t a fan of water activities, there are plenty of other ways to keep them cool and protected during the summer months, such as providing shade and plenty of fresh water.